This complex, having a diameter of about 17 km, is emplaced in lithologically variable sediments of Upper Palaeozoic age which are slightly hornfelsed near the contacts, and inclusions of which are abundant in parts of the complex. There is a partially preserved roof of feldspar porphyries, breccias and various pyroclastic rocks. The complex comprises three sub-complexes. In the southeast is the oldest centre of dominantly basic rocks including pyroxenites, kaersutite-bearing alkali gabbros grading into syenogabbros, and dykes and veins of syenite and granite, together with volcanic agglomerates and breccias. Olivine, amphibole and biotite are present in the pyroxenite and gabbros in which some layering is developed. The northern sub-complex is dominantly composed of syenites and granites which are generally banded and with the development of pegmatitic patches. The granites are not peralkaline, but the syenites, which grade from quartz-bearing to analcime- and sodalite-bearing varieties, contain aegirine-augite, riebeckite and arfvedsonite. The south and west of the complex is occupied principally by analcime-bearing syenites which grade into nepheline-sodalite foyaites. These rocks contain perthite, albite, up to 30% nepheline + sodalite, cancrinite and analcime, aegirine/aegirine-augite, barkevikite, arfvedsonite, biotite and accessories including lavenite, lamprophyllite, mosandrite and narsarsukite. Igneous and sedimentary xenoliths are widespread and there is evidence of fenitization of basic rocks. Leucocratic dykes, principally bostonites, cut the sediments and are probably related to the northwest centre. Basic dykes and sills are similarly widely distributed but tinguaites are restricted to the area of the nepheline syenite sub-complex. Rock analyses are available in Bearth (1959) and Brooks et al. (1982) have made a detailed mineralogical study.